SINGAPORE - The catering arm of well-known restaurant group TungLok had its licence at the Max Atria at Singapore Expo suspended on Friday (Nov 23) after 190 people reportedly fell ill from eating food prepared at its premises.
The National Environment Agency (NEA) said in a notice on its website on Friday that it is working with the Ministry of Health (MOH) and Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority (AVA) to investigate multiple cases of gastroenteritis traced to the consumption of food from TungLok Catering at 1 Expo Drive.
In response to queries by The Straits Times, the authorities said on Saturday that a total of 190 people had reported symptoms of gastroenteritis as of Friday.
None of them were hospitalised, they added in a joint statement.
Gastroenteritis is an intestinal condition that can be caused by a virus or a bacterial infection, with symptoms including vomiting and diarrhoea.
Mr Andrew Tjioe, president and chief executive of TungLok Group, told ST on Saturday that about seven kitchen staff members had prepared more than 1,000 bento boxes for SCDF's public exhibition Lifesavers' Connect that day.
The bento boxes each contained white rice and three dishes, including curry chicken and vegetables, he said.
"We have been running our catering business at the Singapore Expo for at least six years and this is the first such incident," he said. "Our kitchens have all been certified 'A'. Things like this can happen and we hope to get to the root cause of it."
He added that the group is fully prepared to cooperate with the authorities in their investigations.